BBSI Privacy Notice to California Job Applicants
Click here to view the BBSI Privacy Notice to California Job Applicants in Spanish >
(herein referred to as “Consumers”)
Barrett Business Services, Inc. (“BBSI,” the “Company” or “we”) provide this California Privacy Notice (“Notice”) to describe our privacy practices with respect to our collection of Personal Information as required under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”). This Notice applies only to BBSI job applicants and candidates for employment who are residents of the State of California (“Consumers” or “you”)¹ and from whom we collect “Personal Information” as defined in the CCPA and in this Notice. We provide you this Notice because under the CCPA, California residents who are job applicants qualify as Consumers.
1. Information We Collect From or About Consumers
We may collect Personal Information from you in a variety of different situations and using a variety of different methods, including, but not limited to, on our website, your mobile device, through email, in physical locations, through written applications, through the mail, and/or over the telephone. Generally, we may collect, receive, maintain, and use the following categories of Personal Information, depending on the particular purpose and to the extent permitted under applicable law:
|Personal Identifiers||Name, alias, postal or mailing address, email address, telephone number, social security number, driver’s license or state identification card number, passport number.|
|Contact Information||Home, postal or mailing address, email address, home phone number, cell phone number.|
|Account Information||Username and password for Company accounts and systems, and any required security or access code, password, or credentials allowing access to your Company accounts.|
|Pre-Hire Information||Information provided in your job application or resume, information gathered as part of background screening and reference checks, pre-hire drug test results, information recorded in job interview notes by persons conducting job interviews for the Company, information contained in candidate evaluation records and assessments, information in work product samples you provided, and voluntary disclosures by you.|
|Employment History||Information regarding prior job experience, positions held, and, when permitted by applicable law, your salary history or expectations.|
|Education Information||Information contained in your resume regarding educational history, information in transcripts or records of degrees, and vocational certifications obtained.|
|Inferences||Based on analysis of the personal information collected, we may develop inferences regarding your predisposition, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes for purposes of recruiting and hiring assessments and decisions.|
|Internet, Network, and Computer Activity||Internet or other electronic network activity information related to a job applicant’s usage of Company networks, servers, intranet, or Company-owned computers and electronic devices, including system and file access logs, security clearance level, browsing history, search history, and usage history.|
|Mobile Device Security Information||Data identifying a job applicant’s device accessing Company networks and systems, including cell phone make, model, and serial number, cell phone number, and cell phone provider.|
|Online Portal and Mobile App Access and Usage Information||Where job applicant or candidate must create an account to apply for a job, collect the applicant’s username and password, account history, usage history, and any information submitted through the account.|
Of the above categories of Personal Information, the following are categories of “Sensitive Personal Information” the Company may collect:
- Personal Identifiers (social security number, driver’s license or state identification card number, passport number).
- Account Information (your Company account log-in, in combination with any required security or access code, password, or credentials allowing access to the account).
Personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Information that a business has a reasonable basis to believe is lawfully made available to the general public by the job applicant or from widely distributed media.
- Information made available by a person to whom the job applicant has disclosed the information if the job applicant has not restricted the information to a specific audience.
- De-identified or aggregated information.
2. How We Use Personal Information and Sensitive Personal InformationThe Personal Information and Sensitive Personal Information we collect, and our use of Personal Information and Sensitive Personal Information, may vary depending on the circumstances. This Notice is intended to provide an overall description of our collection and use of Personal Information and Sensitive Personal Information. Generally, we may use or disclose Personal Information and Sensitive Personal Information we collect from you or about you for one or more of the following purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the purpose for which you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to apply for a job with the Company, we will use that Personal Information in connection with your candidacy for employment.
- To comply with local, state, and federal law and regulations requiring employers to maintain certain records (such as immigration compliance records, travel records, personnel files, wage and hour records, payroll records, accident or safety records, and tax records), as well as local, state, and federal law, regulations, ordinances, guidelines, and orders relating to COVID-19.
- To evaluate, make, and communicate decisions regarding your job application and candidacy for employment.
- To obtain and verify background check and references.
- To communicate with you regarding your candidacy for employment.
- To evaluate and improve our recruiting methods and strategies.
- To engage in lawful monitoring of job applicant activities and communications when they are on Company premises, or utilizing Company internet and Wi-Fi connections, computers, networks, devices, software applications or systems.
- To evaluate job applicants and candidates for employment or promotions.
- To obtain and verify background checks on job applicants and to verify employment references.
- To engage in corporate transactions requiring review or disclosure of job applicant records subject to non-disclosure agreements, such as for evaluating potential mergers and acquisitions of the Company.
- To promote and foster diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
- COVID-19 RELATED PURPOSES
- To reduce the risk of spreading the disease in or through the workplace.
- To protect job applicants and everyone else at Company workplaces from exposure to COVID-19.
- To comply with local, state, and federal law, regulations, ordinances, guidelines, and orders relating to COVID-19, including applicable reporting requirements.
- To facilitate and coordinate pandemic-related initiatives and activities (whether Company-sponsored or through the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention, other federal, state and local governmental authorities, and/or public and private entities or establishments, including vaccination initiatives).
- To identify potential symptoms linked to COVID-19 (including through temperature checks, antibody testing, or COVID-19 questionnaire).
- To permit contact tracing relating to any potential exposure.
- To communicate with job applicants and other consumers (including employees and visitors to our workplace) regarding potential exposure to COVID-19 and properly warn others who have had close contact with an infected or symptomatic individual so that they may take precautionary measures, help prevent further spread of the virus, and obtain treatment, if necessary.
- To evaluate, assess, and manage the Company’s business relationship with vendors, service providers, and contractors that provide services to the Company related to recruiting or processing of data from or about job applicants.
- To improve job applicant experience on Company computers, networks, devices, software applications or systems, and to debug, identify, and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality of our systems.
- To protect against malicious or illegal activity and prosecute those responsible.
- To prevent identity theft.
- To verify and respond to consumer requests from job applicants under applicable consumer privacy laws.
3. Retention of Personal Information
The Company will determine the length of retention for each category of Personal Information in accordance with various criteria, including, but not limited to: the business purposes for which the Personal Information was collected; relevant federal, state and local recordkeeping laws; applicable statute of limitations for claims to which the information may be relevant; and legal preservation of evidence obligations.
We apply our data retention procedures on an annual basis to determine if the business purposes for collecting the personal information, and legal reasons for retaining the personal information, have both expired. If so, we will purge the information in a secure manner.
4. Sale/Sharing of Information to Third Parties
The Company does not and will not sell your Personal Information or Sensitive Personal Information for any monetary or other valuable consideration. The Company does not and will not share your Personal Information or Sensitive Personal Information for cross-context behavioral advertising.
**This policy was last updated December, 2022.
¹The use of the term Consumer in this document does not mean that job applicants are consumers for purposes of any other law besides the CCPA.